Friday, April 18, 2008

FSW: Your Song

College dorm room. We see soda cans, beer cans and pizza boxes strewn around the room amid piles of clothes. Band posters and black light posters are on the wall. On a small plaid couch we see Jenna sitting with a guitar and sheets of paper wadded up all around her. She is wearing a dirty t-shirt, boxer shorts and her hair is very mussed.

JENNA: (muttering to self) maybe an alternate tuning would work...

Knock on the door of the dorm room startles Jenna.

JENNA: are you freaking kidding me? who would be knocking at this hour? Dammit now I gotta answer the door.

She goes to door, swings it open and sees her roommate standing there, with her keys in hand.

JENNA: Oh, hey Sara, what are you doing here? I thought you were out of town for the weekend.

SARA: I'm back. It's Monday afternoon. Haven't you left the room? Holy shit Jenna, what in the hell did you do here in our room?

JENNA: I'm working on a song. I'm just stuck at this one point and I can't seem to move forward.

SARA: Well finish it up because you need to clean up this shithole of our room so I can study and move around in here....man, what a mess.

Sara frowns and storms out, Jenna watches her go...

JENNA: Bitch. Doesn't she understand what it's like to be creative?

Goes back to work, we hear strumming, and babbling for a few minutes, then another knock on the door.

JENNA: Again? Dammit, I'm never going to get this done. (gets up and goes to door)

JENNA: (swings open door) Oh hey Cathy, what's up?

CATHY: Hey Jenna, I noticed you haven't been around the last few days, and I just wanted to check on you. That's what us Resident Advisors do. Is everything ok?

JENNA: Thanks for checking in Cathy, I'm fine. Just been trying to write a song, and I'd really like to get back to it if that's ok.

CATHY: Sure, just one more thing. We're having our annual spirit dinner tonight with the guys from Northbrook Hall. Every room has been paired up with a guy's room. Your guy is Alan and he should be here to pick you up a couple hours. Just wanted to give you a heads up, you know, if you wanted to shower or something...

JENNA: Whatever. Sounds lame. I'll think about it. Gotta go now Cath, the muse is waning.

Cathy walks off and Jenna shuts door. She goes back to work, strumming, babbling and loses track of time. A knock again on the door. Now, she gets angry.

JENNA: What the fuck do you want? People can't you just leave me alone and let me work on my fucking music!? (she goes to the door and swings it open)

Standing at the door is a drop dead gorgeous guy, peering at her and seems repelled by her appearance.

ALAN: Hi, um, I'm Alan and I was supposed to pick up Jenna?

JENNA: Yeah, I'm Jenna. I'm so sorry I wasn't ready for you to come get me, I'll take a minute to get ready to go. I just need to put this away...

ALAN: It's ok, It looks and sounds like you are super busy, so I'm gonna go ahead and go... if you can make it, I'll see you there, ok? (he turns and bolts)

JENNA: Sucks. Damn song. Getting in the way of everything. Guess it's back to work.

BLACKOUT.

1 comment:

R.A. Porter said...

I like the way you set the mood and had time pass so quickly. She's crazy, of course. Needs to get back on her meds. :)