Friday, April 4, 2008

My Heart Will Go On

This is a tribute blog to a brave group of guys who entertained our evening of poker at Native New Yorker in Phoenix. This foursome plays softball every Thursday, then comes in and does karaoke. I was playing poker with the regulars and we were commenting on the song choices of some of the singers. We heard 'The Greatest Love of All' followed by 'My Heart Will Go On' and so on....

After awhile, someone went out to check and see who was doing all these songs, ear-bleeding anthems was my term. When we found out it was a group of middle-aged drunk guys, we all started laughing. I got challenged to go sing my own ear-bleeding anthem, so I put in 'I Will Always Love You.' Of course, the tournament was over before I got up to sing (I took 6th) and everyone left so no one actually heard me sing the dare.

However, sing it I did. And, at first, the bar cleared out because of the song, and then slowly people started coming back in and then smiling and listening to me. I did get a nice round of applause, and I'm not sure if it was that I did a good job or that the song was finally over! I'll say both. The guys waved me over, so I went over to say hi, and found out that they do sort of an American Idol type theme for karaoke each week. This week it was opposite gender night, which explained the song choices. I then got to hear them sing, 'Heaven is a place on Earth, Stop in the name of Love, and Alone. I followed up with a rousing rendition of Tiffany's Could've Been.

While others were attempting to sing, I was coming up with a list of themes for the next time they sing karaoke. I listed out Movie Soundtracks, Elvis, Classic Rock, 80s/90s rap, and Angry Girl Music.

They closed the bar down with Bohemian Rhapsody, and the whole place was singing! All in all, it was if not anything else, a very entertaining night.

No comments: